12/13/2005

cool quotes

I left one of my classes bummed that there was no lecture. Along with another student I went to the teachers office to see if there was anything the teacher wouldn't mind teaching us. alHamdu lilLah, not only was I honored with an amazing lecture about African languages, but I was given a very intriguing article to read called "The insular American" by Derrick Z. Jackson, here are a couple of quotes I enjoyed:

"For me geography is the summit of human existence, it dictates the culture, it contains the history of how human beings actually recreated existence depending on the environment." In the United States, he continued, "geography is 'What is the capital of California?' and once they say that, they think they know the world. " - Wole Soyinka

"Once people understand that, you understand why Eskimos live in igloos, and you don't see that as backwards but as an intelligent use of resources. You understand why certain peoples eat horrible looking grubs and you recognize them as superior to hamburgers. Curiosity precedes critical thinking. If you're not curious, you can't think." - Wole Soyinka

______________________

Speaking about curiosity.... subHan Allah over 30,000 civilians have been killed in Iraq... and more prison torture stories have been revealed.... ya Allah, something has to be done to stop this.

2 Comments:

At 1/21/2006 5:36 am , Blogger RafaƂ Gadomski said...

Curious about Soyinka? You can visit at www.wolesoyinka.blogspot.com . CU.

 
At 1/21/2006 10:33 am , Blogger Anonymous said...

Heeeey! cool! Yea, I was actually, thank you for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home