11/01/2006

Classroom Rules

My classroom rules are Luqman's advice to his son. I made sure every student in my class wrote them down in their journal. I told them, "listen up, this is very important! I know how to make you become children of wisdom! Would you like to have wisdom? This is even better than being smart, this is like having a big brain! Here we go..." [now imagine a class on the edge of their seats wanting to write all these down]:

1. Tawhid: Believe in One God.
2. Taqwa: Be AWARE of God. [Here I explained that Allah can see everything they do, and hear everything they say.]
3. Right actions: You must pray, do what is good, forbid the bad, and be patient with all hardships.
4. Humility: Be good and gentle to everyone around you.
5. Modesty: Have nice manners, and walk with modesty and speak with gentleness.

During snack time one student told me that another student called her a bad name. Then I told them, Allah heard that, if I were you I would say astaghfur Allah so that the angel recording the bad things you said can erase it. Then the child said, "astaghfur Allah, astaghfur Allah, astaghfur Allah"... after many minutes had passed, I went by this student only to hear her continuing, "astaghfur Allah, astaghfur Allah, astaghfur Allah" Indeed, this is a lesson for adults to learn, a child feels regret and asks for Allah's forgiveness a multitude of times, and how much do we sincerely call for Allah's forgiveness. Khayr, ya Rab.

~

I'm glad someone's done with their exams (most of them anyway). My du`a' are with you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home