life
al-hamdu liLlah, i came up with a new set of procedures for my class, and ya Allah, al-Wali, -smiles- my classroom doesn't have a discipline issue anymore. I guess it's all about trial and error, you try new things until you find something that works. Now I have this kind of system:
I put all their names on the board, it is the "good list" and everyone's name is on it. The list is split up into groups, and each group can accumulate points. For the group with the most points they will be rewarded prizes, in sha' Allah. When I notice a student is behaving very well, I may put a "+" next to their name. Each + sign is worth group points. Furthermore, the two students with the most + signs get to stand next to me in salah, (it's a big deal to them). When I notice that some people are getting off-task, I simply get up and stand by the names and really it becomes dead silent. I don't want my classroom to be super quiet, I just want every student to stay on task. If they're talking about the assignment I don't mind their talking so much. Also, I take away group points if one student in the group misbehaves, it might not be fair, but the group members put peer pressure on the student to behave.
Bas, al-Hamdu liLlah, today the Vice Principal walked into my classroom and she praised the classroom for how well-behaved they were. al-Hamdu liLlah, usually when an adult walks in they get so excited and chaotic and I feel embarassed, I want them to show respect for guests to our classroom, and I don't want them acting that way. Their behavior also reflects my strategy, I mean, if they're chaotic that's an indicator that the teacher doesn't have a good policy or a good set of rules in the classroom. Khayr, slowly but surely everything is coming together.
The best week of teaching had to be last week, one of my students hugged me and said, "thank you teacher for teaching me how to read!" It's amazing what a couple of months can teach a child, I love to watch them learn, barak Allahu fihum.
ya Rabbi, I love my students so much... I sit with them after salah, and I love to just have them reflect upon things to be grateful and thankful for. So, in a circle I'll start, "Okay, students, I will go first... al-Hamdu liLlah for.." then the students will say, "we know, you're students." Then I will smile and say, "al-Hamdu liLlah for my students!" I have to tell them I love and care for them everyday, because it let's them know how I feel about them, why lock it up? Khayr, they deserve to know.
I spent a long time trying to figure out this whole lesson planning system! I just sat down with the books, and just thought deeply and critically about how I want to do things in my classroom. Finally, I came up with a plan, and I'm going to test it out this week. ya Allah, please bring ease.
I decided, that I want to give the most challenging assignments to all the students, and if any fall behind then I will accomodate for that student to help them in a way that works for them individually. Khayr, we'll see what happens.
One of the fathers of my student gave a workshop today about classroom management, al-Hamdu liLlah. He's getting his PhD in education, and he has been teaching middle school for quite some time. During the workshop for the teachers he mentioned the way I run my classroom a few times as an example, I felt really good about that (I want so badly to know that what I'm doing is okay). Then he'll mention certain scholars of education and their philosophy, and he'll look at me and say, "you know who I'm talking about." But then he brought up another example of some procedure that I never heard before, hehe, so I don't always know what you're talking about brother. Khayr, we learn and we remember, and sometimes we forget. -smiles-
I had fun playing with Amir today. I felt bad for him, he came into my room and he said, "Mom's not here, and I've been here doing nothing all day, I'm so bored." SubHan Allah I felt my heart sink in. I got off of the computer and I went downstairs to play. I glided with him across the floor in the kitchen, and twirled him around, and we just ran around and were silly. Children love to be silly -smiles-. al-Hamdu liLlah, al-hamdu liLlah, al-Hamdu liLlah it was a lot of fun!
Ya Rabbi, al-hamdu liLlah for all the good moments in life. Spending time with people that you care about is like feeding the soul with saakinah, such deep tranquility of peace and happiness. ya Rab. And al-Hamdu liLlah for all our hardships, life is good with them.
I would hate my life if it wasn't at all difficult, we need to be challenged we need to face obstacles and overcome them. A success isn't a success unless there was an obstacle before it. -smiles- subHan Allah, that's the way we are successful.
I feel like eating some batata right now, -smiles-, khayr.
Life, life,.... liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiife, al-Hamdu liLlah.
al-hamdu liLlah my grandmother is doing well, -smiles- thank you for your du`a'. jazakum Allahu khayran.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home