Dance is cool...
subHan Allah the class I am taking "watching the dance" is really cool. We watch movies of all types of different dancing, and we have a new face come to teach each week about what makes their dance special and unique. Today we watched an Indonesian dancing film, and the man who came to speak about it brought in props, and even preformed for us, the class is really entertaining... no wonder Aishah (ra) loved watching people dance, it's really cool.
A couple of weeks ago we were required to go to the theater and watch a performance by Meredith Monk, it was a vocal and dance ensemble, it was literally the weirdest thing I've seen in my whole life! The lady literally went on stage and did this: "Laaaaaay looooow lay low LAY low .. [then really quickly] lay low lay low lay low lay low lay low .... [tongue clicking sounds] la la la l alalalal la la [click click]... lalalallalalalalal [click click]" And the dance was absolutely, weeeeird!!! There was this man that came out and he looked like he was trying to get a spider off of him, frantically moving around the stage going crazy, absolutely crazy! I can't even begin to explain half of the stuff I saw with that performance it was weird. The audience was *silent* my cousin who I coaxed to go with me, kept whispering her interpretation of what is going on, and I felt like I was going to explode trying to hold my laughter in.
Usually when I try not to laugh I recite surah al-fatiha in my mind, and my laughter just calms down... but this time, I don't know, I had to sink in my seat close my eyes tight, hold my cousin Manals arm and force this laugh to stay inside of me. al-Hamdu liLlah... al-Hamdu liLah... I didn't laugh!
I'm really glad I took this class, it's educational and fun in so many ways.
Today in my car on my way to school, I was singing to myself, "layyyy loooooow, laaaay loooow, lay low lay low lay low lay low.. [click click]".... ya Allah, it was soo catchy! -smiles-
al-Hamdu liLlah for everything, I better read for the discussion tomorrow, khayr in sha' Allah.
-smiles- I never knew there was so much meaning and symbolism and methodology to dancing,
subHan Allah, wa al-Hamdu liLlah wa la illaha illa Allah, wa Allahu akbar!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home