12/15/2005

Fun Times

Alright, so I'm making my dad some tea, and I decided to sit down with him to watch a little bit of news.

Anyways, so he turns to me and says: "How can you get 30 cents using only two American coins, and one of them is not a nickel?"

I thought, and thought... and, I couldn't think of any way that this could be possible.

So, thinking I was being clever I said, "Well Dad, I would use two quarters, that would equal 50 cents and you can get 30 cents out of that!" (yea, now I think I'm all that and a bag of candy)

anyways... WRONG!!! (well, I was right, but I answered the question the wrong way)

So then my brother comes down stairs, and asks me the question again, "alright, how can you get 30 cents, both coins have to be EQUAL to 30 cents, with one not being a nickel?"

I'm thinking, 'subHan Allah this can not be possible, there has to be a trick to this, could it be with the word coins?... hmm, is there another meaning? are they saying this sentence in a funny way?... argh! I can't get it'

"I don't know, just tell me."

So then my dad puts his hand into his pocket pulls out a quarter and a nickel, and asks me..."do you notice anything?"...

uh.. "yea, that you have a quarter and a nickel in your hand".. hehe.

he continues, "look at this" (and he's holding the quarter now)

hmmmmmm.... where is he going with this?

So .. the answer.. the answer...

One coin is a nickel, and one coin is a quarter, turns out if I said, "A quarter and a nickel" the answer would be correct, because all that he asked was that one coin not be a nickel... and that coin that is not a nickel my friends... is the quarter.

Remember the question "one of them is not a nickel" ... the quarter is not a nickel. They didn't say you couldn't use the nickel.

al-Hamdu lilLah, fun times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home